The concept of Solar Roadways comes with the global road network spanning an impressive 16.3 million kilometer, it seems reasonable that covering them with solar roadways could generate a substantial amount of electricity. Assuming the average road is 8 meters wide, the area accumulates a whopping 130,400,000 meters squared. The solar roadways consist of structurally engineered solar panels that we derive on.
Each solar road panel interlinks with neighboring panels to form the solar Roadways system. The solar roadway generates electrical power from the sun and becomes a nation decentralized, intelligent, self-healing power grid, replacing our current deteriorating power distribution infrastructure.
Structure of solar roadways:
Road surface layer: The road surface layer is directly attached to the vehicle that’s ways strength should be sufficiently high. The sunlight can still pass through it to the cell where solar energy collected.
Electronics Layer: A number of ultra capacitors are also fitted in this layer to store energy for future use.
Base Plate Layer: It has the responsibility of distribution of power being collected from the electronic layer. The energy thus collected and transported to homes and linked to the solar roadway.
(1) Solar roadways distribute its electrical energy to all business and homes connected to the system
(2) In addition to the electric power data signal (cable, high-speed internet, telephone etc) also travelling through the solar roadways which acts as conduits for these signal.
(3) The feature eliminates the unsightly power lines utility poles and the relay station.
(1) Initially the startup and maintenance cost of building such roadways and parking lots is extremely high.
(2) Currently average efficiency is 20%.